Monday 22 December 2014

growing up

GROWING UP 

As a child I wouldn’t bother 
I would run to those urchins. 

I’d not know their names or families they come from 
Only smiles on their faces I would recognise 
And water dripping from hair 
flowing from forehead to the cheeks, 
Forming little droplets under the chin 
Lingering for a second and then falling, 
Their laughter was all I’d hear 
And know their eyes are calling. 

Calling to make splashes in the pot-holes and see 
little paper bits melt away 
To watch our faces dissolve in ripples 
and form again with settling waves 
To be drenched in the pools collected below 
And the rain falling from clouds hanging low 
To be drenched with water - 
Be wet and cold, 
And have my heart drenched with and behold - 
Happiness. 

Not denied but only by me who put too much faith 
in propriety that comes with age. 


The walls I made all around 
To keep away the storm and thunder 
What a pity, I let it succeed 
In taking away the rain from me 
the splashes, the ripples, the laughter, the wonder. 


One rainy evening when I was doing this experimental shoot 
by the window of my room, I saw some kids playing outside 
in the rain. Although I don't mind getting wet in the rains 
sometimes, the unihibited and free frolic of those kids made 
me think.


No comments:

Post a Comment